Where did my old mattress go?

This is Kliptown. Population unknown, estimated at around 50,000.

mattressWall
A place where empty milk cartons and bottle caps become car toys; where young men meet girls in the queues of the only water tap their families share with 10 other families; a place where all is shared because that is the only way to have “enough”; a place where 70% of the population is unemployed and the other 30% badly payed. This is Kliptown, the oldest residential district in Soweto.

kliptownKids
This is Kliptown, where kids and young people perform with big smiles gum-boot dances to strangers; where the new generation dreams about a better township and works hard for their education; a place where there is no room for self pity but always time for one big smile and an even bigger hug.

Advertisements

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s